Welcome to the Washington-Lee PTA!
Studies show that students do better academically, socially, and developmentally when their parents and guardians are actively involved with their school. We understand how busy our families are, so it’s our objective to offer as much information to help you and your student navigate high school in a meaningful way.
Much of what we do to support our students, faculty, and staff takes money. We don’t hold may fundraisers, as is often the case in elementary and middle school, so we’ll ask that you participate in the easy ones we do have. See below for simple ways to help – including the grocery card programs. All you need to do is link your grocery cards to Washington-Lee. If, like me, you have lost your card and just enter your phone number at the store, please stop at the Customer Service desk during your next visit. They will link your account right there – and it takes just a moment!
On behalf of the PTA, we look forward to a great year of working together to support W-L. If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions, please e-mail me at email@example.com
Tish Jenkins, PTA President 2018-19
- Join the PTA: Your $20 annual dues, when multiplied by 1,000 or more families, provide vital funding supporting the PTA’s work. There are two ways to submit dues: online at http://w-lpta.org/join or download and return this form: W-L-PTA-Membership-Envelope-2018-2019
- Support our “No Sweat” Fundraiser: Dues cover the PTA’s core operations, but we rely on additional donations to fund grants to teachers and student clubs for enrichment activities not covered by the school budget. We call it “No Sweat” because these donations eliminate the need for parents to do bake sales, sell wrapping paper, etc. Please include your 100% tax-deductible donation when you pay your dues.
- Get connected by e-mail. Sign up for our main PTA listserv (to receive weekly e-mail updates) and sign up for one or more PTA grade-level listservs (for occasional e-mail updates regarding grade-specific issues). New sign-up information coming soon! (posted 3/21/19)
- Link your Grocery Card: Last year, the PTA received over $10,000 from Harris Teeter and Giant to support W-L. Signing up only takes seconds at no cost to you. Please do so at www.harristeeter.com (W-L code 3917) and www.giantfood.com (W-L code 02195). You must re-signup for these programs every year. Target and Safeway no longer have programs.
- Attend PTA Meetings: We meet monthly (except Dec) to get updates from the W-L staff and to hear presentations on topics like school capacity, social media, and substance abuse. Meetings are 7:30 pm in the W-L library on Mondays: September 10, October 15, November 19, January 7, February 11, March 11, April 8, May 14, and June TBD (offsite picnic). Look for meeting agendas in PTA listserv messages. We meet in the Library. Elevators are available for those not interested in taking the stairs. Parking is easy in the parking deck adjacent to the school. There is a meet and greet at 7:15 p.m. and the business meeting runs from 7:30 until 9:00 p.m.
- Volunteer to Help: The PTA coordinates activities such as Student of the Semester, Staff Appreciation Breakfast, and Science Fair that rely on parent volunteers. Look for notices on the PTA listserv. Please volunteer for at least one event this year.